Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, September 07, 2008

My first encounter with the works of Louise Bourgeois was in Second Year, while I was doing research for Herzog and de Meuron's take on Tate Modern. They were deliciously low-key then, which I liked. So. Maman, the 9.1m tall spider, where I'd imagine visitors only ever seeing its underbelly and its spider sacs - sound spidery, whatever they are. This video has put a voice to the remarkable sculptor, whose name's spelling I had been determined to memorise in Junior College.

Serendipitiously, I'd found a link (not that I'd been looking hard for it, really) to good ol' Gropius' Manifesto for the Bauhaus movement. Only these days, whenever I think of the word Bauhaus, my mind automatically intones Bela Lugosi's dead. It's funny how, for those poseurs from Archi or Design schools, we start referring to influential (read: widely publicised) Designers as someone we actually know, whether by reference to first names or casual name-dropping. Oh, Rem said such and such. Oh, Mies was blahblahblah. Corbu this and Eames that.

2 Comments:

Blogger awhitebubble said...

have i ever told you that i've always thought you were a nerd? like a complimentary type of "you're a nerd!".. meant with no ill-feeling or malice whatsoever.. i like nerds.. they're smart! :) how're you?

September 09, 2008 3:53 am  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

um, yes, i believe you've brought that to my attention once before, the fact that i'm a nerd. *blink*

i'm good - swamped in a good way. you're not on skype anymore? :(

September 10, 2008 3:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home