Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, August 31, 2008



The last few days, I have spent my energy designing wardrobes. My virgin attempt at Interior Design has - though I'd never known there'd be such a science to it - taught me some things about heights, width, sliding or hinged doors, and general construction details, etc. While it's nice to be part of a team for realising someone's dwelling - I wonder why they'd entrust such intimate decisions to strangers. Residential interiors should best be made of by its inhabitants in time, rather than to be made by someone else against time.



Last Friday, Tan Pin Pin's box set of 3 DVDs was launched at Books Actually. Singapore Gaga, Invisible City and Moving House. I went, and immediately purchased the set because I had been so desperate to watch Singapore Gaga. It was launched while I was away in Melbs. My research, at that time, concerned sights and sounds of the street in Taiwan, Singapore and Melbourne. I had this whole gamut of sound recordings: vendors' street cries, the sound of passing traffic, disembodied voices, blind buskers, alongside hours' worth of video footage of street-related encounters. An incoherent jumble that I have still maintained, until now, as that. Perhaps one day it will come in useful as a soundscape project. Or otherwise. Or perhaps not.



My paper has been published. Yay! But at such a price. I don't reckon I've got the makings of an academic researcher or writer. So tiring. How do some people actually enjoy this process of whittling and editing draft after draft? Actually, it may not be such a perverse activity after all, especially when it's self-inflicted. But it may be another age before I actually decide to attend these conferences, the draw of legendary arts festivals notwithstanding.

4 Comments:

Blogger YH said...

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH CCOOOOOOWWWWWWW
YOU-ARE-AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!
i love your writing =D

September 02, 2008 1:14 am  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

Reallyyyy????
*blush*
not sounding boring and drab meh?
thanks haaa... :)

September 02, 2008 1:43 am  
Blogger YH said...

don't fish for compliments! harharhar...

really good stuff lah

eh but they allow pp to just download the full article just like that?? don't have some kind of control of sorts?

September 02, 2008 9:41 pm  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

Aiyah.
被你看穿了!

Yeah, I'm a bit upset that it's a plagiarisable Word document.
But then again, even if they PDFed it these days, everything is still copyable.
But if they'd asked for payment per view, then it'd be that much less accessible as well.
Between the devil (who wears Prada) and the deep blue sea.

September 04, 2008 12:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home