Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Saturday, May 14, 2005

why must i?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

my poster for the upcoming Graduate Research Weekend.

no, i am not getting cold feet at the thought of having to defend my ideas whilst being shot at by a panel of strangers. they claim to be masters in their field, but they have not been following my progress/process. they don't even know me! like how we (me and fellow coursemates) like to put it, it's like monsters taking ruthless stabs at the beginning-to-emerge concepts we have been nursing during the months of development/gestation.

of late, thoughts of postgrad research being an over-hyped activity have been loitering in the voids of my mind - void because i can't think of anything else when i think of presenting my work to a panel in order for it to be shot down, in front of a public audience. why is design/architecture one of the few non-examinable areas where the accepted way of assessing the work is to 'test' it through performance? what is it in the practical aspects of design that makes me keep going back to the torture that is a 'critique session'? i thought i'd had enough of such abuse when i brought home my 1:100 model of a train station at the end of the honours programme...

i do not articulate myself clearly on paper, neither do i think well on my feet. i rue the day a decision was made to return to an academic, over-theorizing, justified-by-precedents way of life. and it seemed like such a good idea at that time, too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, but academic rhetoric can be useful to know. For example, can pretend to be smug intellectual. Heh. Critiques are so nerve-wracking but methinks you articulate yourself well and will do great.. ^_^ And think of what the postgrad experience has gotten you...you've lectured, you're staying in a foreign country (in the burbs no less) etc etc.

By the way, maybe its only my computer but your image isn't showing :(

Oh, and Good Luck!

May 14, 2005 6:44 pm  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

maoie: thanks for encouragement. *takes deep breath*
.
.
.
.
.
seems like plunging into an abyss T_T

May 16, 2005 12:49 am  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

maoie: i think there is a lot of vanity and back-patting involved in postgrad academia...

May 16, 2005 12:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home