Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sunday, October 29, 2006

farmer in the dell

that's one of the first songs i learnt, waaay back when i was a tiny tot in a yamaha music group class. the teacher would play a little tune on the piano, and we'd all have to hurry up to the front to gather. rather militaristic and regimented, really. but such is the life of discipline of a musician, and training begins young.

The farmer in the dell
The farmer in the dell
Hi-ho,The derry-o
The farmer in the dell


lyrics here. but before dell referred to a cheap, built-to-suit-your whims computer brand name, it meant a small, wooded valley. which is more romantic.

and i had, and still indeed, entertain fantasies of having my own farm. in my mind, it's always an orchard (with a herd of alpacas): groves of (fuji, please) apple trees, cherries, strawberries, pumpkins, apricots, and watermelons. as a kid i'd always loved being brought to u-picks, and the idea of picking your own fruit was associated with warm afternoons spent sorting them out, lazily eating them, and having all sorts of fruit-flavoured teas and desserts. an overabundance of warm fuzzy feelings, nothing at all like what the farmers are experiencing over here in drought-stricken australia. reality is a much sadder version of dreams.

lucky i found this bit of animation while browsing other crafty blogs. i suppose i've always wanted to learn to knit. a friend's mom kindly offered to teach me sometime back, and after trying painstakingly hard for all of 25 minutes, i gave up. it's sad because images of my grandmother, who brought me up and with whom i spent many daylight hours terrorising, play in my mind every so frequently. with the cooking done, and with me freshly scrubbed, i'd sit with my grandmother by the front door to knit. the waning daylight of the evening was always a good time. wish she could've knitted something that fit me now. all i have to show for those memories now are kiddy-sized ponchos which are kept at the back of my cupboard at home.



this reminded me a bit of my unfulfilled desire to knit. again.

maybe when i have an alpaca farm with rolling greens of flowering orchards.

7 Comments:

Blogger Frances said...

I learnt to knit recently - I only know the basics but I love knitting scarves. Took me ages to pick it up but once you do - you'll love it. That animation was great.

November 01, 2006 9:16 am  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

spindle: i saw this girl knitting in the train the other day, and it was a point of conversation between strangers and herself. that was heartwarming. i'd like to knit scarves and ponchos someday.

November 02, 2006 3:19 pm  
Blogger sereneannabelle said...

knitting!

it's sweet got i'll prolly get all the holes wrong.

grahh!

i love ur pink dot bed btw, and yes. it's still visible.

November 03, 2006 3:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there! I clicked around and came to your blog from someone's link. Anyways the knitting cartoon is funny, if only we can knit that fast. lol..

November 03, 2006 9:33 pm  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

moppet: do you also include all those farm animals when you do old macdonald's? :)

serendipity: knitting looks boring, but the stuff that comes out of it looks so lovely!

and thanks, the pink dot cloth is from spotlight - they're my future curtains!

heather: yeah! but i'd be rather freaked out by a shawl or scarf made out of human hair... eeps. but i liked the clicketty-clack of the knitting.

November 04, 2006 7:31 pm  
Blogger YH said...

haha..i received "my beauty" in my mailbox last friday! soo happie!!! not asking for reply and pressie larh!! jus worried it might land in your landlord's hands and get trashed.. so staying put at eucalytus mews arh?
i learnt to knit when i was in mel cos no money to do anything during the hols,& knitting was an affordable hobby.but when i was clearing my stuff i sold everything,my yarn, my needles etc.. cos i think to knit is s'pore is a very prickly thing to do, unless i'm in an a/c room...

November 06, 2006 12:19 pm  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

hao: yay! am so glad you got it! i forgot to tie the brown paper package up with string, though... only realised that at the post office. heh.

November 10, 2006 11:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home