Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, June 29, 2006

a book is an idea is time spent reading it

i was walking in a bookstore the other day, and they had this entire table of discounted books. a passing glance told me i had never heard of any of the authors, nor titles there. and then this feeling of ignorance, and perhaps also smallness washed over me. i privately consoled myself by making my brain believe that those were small-time authors, and we are living in an increasingly self-published world where small-time authors abound.

sadly, i must admit to not having great literary tastes. there are books i read for the purpose of research, and for a good while, they become indispensable - such that i feel those authors/academics have become my favourite ones to read. and inescapably, there are philosophers whose ideas come into vogue and then ebb (19th century french ones, for instance), and "evergreen" philosophers that anyone can quote, sometimes, even out of context. like nietzsche.

while i try to desensitise myself to name-dropping in conversations, it is frequently close to impossible for academics to have a coherent conversation sometimes without them referring casually to this theory, or that concept. it gets hard to keep up. every week i tell myself i have to be up to scratch with readings, but new ones come along and the backlog only gets bigger.

there is a distinction to be made between reading for work and for pleasure. some may say dismissively that 'oh! my work is my interest' with a casual flick of their hand. but how can someone immerse themselves in a particular field all the time? surely, there has to be a division of work interests and other-time interests? of the few authors of fiction i'm proud to like, are neil gaiman, and though past the quarter-century mark, jk rowling. and then some. more, i mean. :)

by now harry potter fans have probably heard that she says in book 7 "two die that I didn’t intend to die". shouldn't surprise me as much as it did, really.

but i digress. a writing workshop i attended some nights ago gave me a strange impetus to look up gertrude stein. and i did, today, and now she's going to be the author for the week. the flavour of the month, more like. sometimes i feel obliged to read stuff that supervisors or other lecturers casually name-drop. i haven't read widely enough for an informed backbone of my own, and that's really coming back to bite me in the ass.

i just wish authors weren't so prolific sometimes. give some of us slow and fickle readers a chance to catch up.

and then again, i am reminded of the mayor of casterbridge i'd left half-read maybe 8 years ago, and bluffed my way through a book review back then. i was a thomas hardy fan when i read far from the madding crowd but not his later novels. odd, really.

sometimes i ask myself: why is everyone else so fond of a particular classic but i can't wrap my head around it?

9 Comments:

Blogger Sibeh Sian said...

Aha! I hate to sound arrogant here, but I read the Classics too. Such as Lao Fu Zi.

June 29, 2006 6:06 pm  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

sibeh sian: hahaha! i used to read lao fu zi too! used to be scared of the bad guys, who were drawn to be really ugly!

June 29, 2006 10:03 pm  
Blogger Little Miss Drinkalot said...

I name drop "Enid Blyton" all the time.

June 30, 2006 3:02 am  
Blogger Sibeh Sian said...

You have to remind me huh? I was also very, very scared of the ghosts he drew. Lao Fu Zi was such a great artist.

June 30, 2006 4:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah! Thomas Hardy. I feel like such a philistine...

June 30, 2006 6:58 pm  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

lmd: no shit! that'd be a good author to name-drop! ah... such happy childhood memories! and to think i really wanted to attend malory towers, too! looked up the map and asked my parents if i could go...

sibeh sian: lao fu zi ain't the name of the artist, is it?? weird how the 'bad' stuff always looks ugly in most comics, huh?

maoie: between the 2 of us, i think you're the more widely read one. and eclectic, also, in terms of film and music preferences.

who's the philistine now? :)

July 01, 2006 2:00 pm  
Blogger Tym said...

I love Thomas Hardy, although I have been given strange looks (even in 'literary' circles) when I profess it. My favourite novel is one of his earlier ones, The Return of the Native, with his last, Jude the Obscure, coming in a close second.

We don't all have to like or read the same books :P How boring that would be!

July 02, 2006 12:36 am  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

tym: yeah, but don't you feel sometimes excluded from a book/literary clique because you haven't read that author, or have no idea who they are and no opinion to air? maybe that circle's deliberately being posh and exclusive. heh.

dotty: hahaha! i know a girl who does really serious work, but secretly watches an inane amount of chickflicks to unwind! haha - trashy romance novels... haha! sorry. this is coming at your expense. but i feel a bit foolish browsing harry potter books at the kids' section sometimes too.

July 03, 2006 3:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to think i was the only one among lit. majors in my varsity who has never read (or want to read):
1) the classics;
2) 19th and 20th C literature of the (past) masters;
3) Tolkein's Lord of the Rings;
4) Rowling's Harry Potter series, etc.

funnily enough, my tut mates and lecturers had never name-dropped. (or maybe i'm too ignorant to catch the names ...)

you are a better student of literature than i am - you've at least read Hardy (and *liked* him)!

July 08, 2006 1:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home