Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, August 05, 2005

water, water everywhere

it's funny, how i was talking to my mom via Skype and she was telling me how there was a typhoon that had been forecasted for taipei today. and also for singapore. sorry, that wasn't so funny - the funny bit comes here: it's raining kitties and doggies over here in melbs too (with less that 1 minute's worth of hail this afternoon to boot)! brings to mind a picture of a fat long, wiggly raincloud hovering over an imaginary line that joins melbs, singas and taipei. ermm... i'm not so hot at geography, but are these 3 places kinda along the same longitude? *shrugs*

well. jabber about the weather aside, all the water outside my window reminded me (in a kinda non-related way) to drink more water. the usual daily intake is supposed to be 2litres, no? my flatmate is constantly paranoid that her kidneys will fail if she is water-deprived. as a result, we boil lots of water in one day.

i used to be an avid water-hater. it was fine as long as it was outside my body (the only exception being bath-time. i h.a.t.e.d. taking baths!). i'd love to swim, wade in the pond for tadpoles, chase the waves crashing on the beach, and splash around in the bathtub - but not drink it. in a vain attempt to ensure i had sufficient water to start off the day, my dad started filling my cartooned glass with a quarter-part of hot water, and another quarter-part of cooled water (the more traditional chinese still hold staunchly to the belief that having something cold first thing in the morning is detrimental to one's system). i say it was a vain attempt, because, spoilt as i was, i soon learnt to assert my dislike for plain water in the mornings.

my dad soon found a loophole in my refusal for water. he diluted Ribena (a blackcurrant drink full of vitamin C!) concentrate with the half-glass of water every morning. that way, he managed to achieve the seemingly impossible task of getting my to drink the water AND take some form of vitamin C (my parents fought a losing battle trying to make me take my vitamin C tablets/chewable pastilles too, but that's another story altogether).

no idea why i recalled this gesture from my dad just out of the blue. he was a person who travelled frequently in his job. in my growing-up years, it would be nearly 6 mths' worth of days that he was away from home. and now, in supposed-retirement, he's away from home 11mths out of a year. huzzah! ...right. but that was a really endearing thing he did for me, and though (and maybe, because) he was not around a lot of the time, the ribena every morning was special to me.

it is still pouring outside. i have just guzzled 2 glasses of water.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kitty said...

that's cute, the ribena thing. my parents, when i was small and they were freaking out because i wouldn't drink, diluted lemon juice in water.
water doesn't quench thirst too well anyway. tea does it better, right?

August 05, 2005 8:40 am  
Blogger Vera said...

i love ribena! it's one of my fav drinks!

yeah i hate to drink pRain water too!
Now i drink at least 1 litre a day.. on a good day i drink about 2 litres hehehe

August 06, 2005 12:42 am  
Blogger ceejayyy said...

Drink 8 glasses of water a day. It keeps the doctors away. HAHAHA.

August 06, 2005 12:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lolol. i'm still semi-adverse to water. can force myself to drink, but will feel so extremely bloated after that. now water-flavoured coffee on the other hand.... :D
not a huge ribena fan either. always leaves this layer of something in your mouth. eeks.

August 07, 2005 2:14 am  
Blogger thepattycakes said...

i'm a water barrel.
hahahaha.

i drink 3 bottles of mineral water in school everyday..
but none at home :P

August 07, 2005 1:00 pm  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

kitty: i've just tried quenching my thirst with a mug of oolong tea. didn't quite help... guess i'm just not much of a tea person, but i've heard it helps. not to mention its many health-enhancing qualities too!

fat fingers: a good mix is ribena with vodka! they charge too much for it in the pubs! you can mix it at home, and introduce it to the Boyfriend as well!

jjiayingg: you won't want to do that if the doctor is cute! haha!

scorpy: yeah. noticed that when you came over 2 mths back... ee-yer... how to drink coffee-flavoured water, girl?

pat: that's what usually happens for me too. very conscious of drinking enough water when out of the home, but somehow forget when i'm back! it helps to put a bottle near your computer, for me at least!

August 07, 2005 11:59 pm  
Blogger da scorpio said...

er...i only drink when i feel thirsty? coffee-flavoured water is good! anything with caffine in it is good! helps me keep my already small eyes open :P

August 10, 2005 1:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home