Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Whoa. When was November? I think this blog is functioning very well without me. So much determination goes into perpetuating things! No wonder it's easier to let things fall into decay and disarray. Mind you, I meant the blog. And, just, stuff in general. And also, a very important part of our landscape: the kopitiam. Into disarray.






This kopitiam is meaningful to me: significant, life-changing decisions were made here. Now, it is no longer. The nice couple running it have decided to call it a day, after 50 years of doing this for their livelihood. Should I be happy for them; yes. Should I be wistful this physical remnant of my life has been destroyed; yes. Should I be disappointed there is to be no one to take over this mom-and-pops kopitiam; yes. What gave the older folk the guts to stick their neck out, establish a small coffee shop, start to scrape together a living whilst providing a memory their customers cherish? And why is it so easy to hesitate, to stop in my tracks, to not want to test the water and try to stand on shaky legs?

Perhaps, at the end of it all, it is easier to do nothing. To sit. To wait for something to happen. For anything. For despair. For Godot. For nothing.

3 Comments:

Blogger YH said...

Why not u take over?

January 10, 2012 5:50 pm  
Anonymous s said...

ah, the eternal question:

"Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse."

January 11, 2012 12:21 am  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

to YH: Eh, I poor leh. Mana-wu cash to take over? And kopitiam a lot of cockroaches... scareds.

to s: TS Eliot! But yar. To sum it up in Chinese (more succinctly), 进退两难.

January 12, 2012 3:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home