Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, October 03, 2005

viva la soleil! :D

because it was such a super freakin' sunny day out for once today, i decided to bring a book out to the balcony to read while soaking up the sun. 40deg Celsius in the sun, my trusty giant thermometer informed me. well, well, well. looks like summer is finally creeping here. and with it, zillions of giant flies. but i'll be back in singas by the time they become more mobile than they currently are, at their maggot-y stage.

couldn't help but smile to myself as i felt the sun's rays beating relentlessly down on my shoulders. i used to be a coffeebean, but now i'm just a fat soybean. being born and bred in the tropics has certainly taken its toll on my tolerance for cold. here, while some are already flaunting their bare arms and legs in the gentle spring warmth, i am still assiduously covering up in 2-3 layers, with the occasional scarf. it gets windy at nights.

i am determined to work my way out of my fat-soybean status. so i sat for about an hour (too much of a good thing is never good) absorbing the long overdue dosage of vitamin D. unfortunately, reference books are a poor choice for reading material when one is out in the sun. a novel, or one of those mindless fashion mags go best with a sit (or a luxurious lie on a deck chair) in the sun.

as the reference book was abandoned within minutes, my idle mind started to space out... and then wander... and it settled on...

this!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

and then it became

this!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

and then all those childhood memories came flooding back... the hours i'd sneaked playing these games when my grandma went out to run errands (instead of getting my homework done), challenging my best friend to endless bouts of super mario brothers during the school holidays at the chalet, figuring out game cheats together, humming incessantly to an array of mario game tunes (from 1, 2 and 3) because we knew them by heart. just a few weeks ago, before wingwong died, i got maoie to send me some MIDI game music to satisfy the cravings. but my fingers have been seriously aching to play these silly games all over again. wonder where i can get them, and if i'd need to fork out an obscene amount to purchase some machine or console in order to play it.

apparently, super mario bros is available as an online game. after the presentations (on which my life currently depends on) are over, i might give it a go! good weather sure makes me happy!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to revisit those old silly games without "forking out an obscene amount", there are these things called emulators (google!)...but shhh, you didn't hear it from me.

I really doubt you're a fat soybean. Fat soybeans are supposed to be insulated from the cold! (I don't want to hear anything about mushrooms)

October 03, 2005 8:45 pm  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

maoie: enoki! enoki! enoki! :)

October 03, 2005 11:58 pm  
Blogger the virgin undergrad said...

i'm a huge mario fan too!! dun bother about the midi, u get download really cool piano renditions of all the Mario themes here: http://www.videogamepianist.com/index.php?id=audio

if can even play those old games on PC. just google for the super nintendo emulator, and search for the relevant game roms.

October 04, 2005 1:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi girl!

Came upon your blog addy via friendster ^ ^

In Aussie now??? lucky girl!! will be bk to catch how's you doing!!

October 04, 2005 2:18 am  
Blogger s said...

40°C?!

i am the fat soybean who blisters just reading about it, and who already gets fried when the temperature ups to 15°C with a UV rating of 6 and above (which is what Welly's currently experiencing) ...



happy Spring to you! (beer and barbie from this point on, eh?)

October 04, 2005 8:29 am  
Blogger the virgin undergrad said...

how come melbourne so warm one?! 40 degrees?!

October 05, 2005 2:52 am  
Blogger barneysaurus said...

My goodness! Another thing that makes me all nostalgic. I couldn't afford the game consoles, but always get a kick when I go over to my cousins' to play :)

October 05, 2005 8:28 pm  
Blogger limegreenspyda said...

virgin undergrad: what?! piano versions of game music??! that's just... wrong. will go take a listen anyways. thanks. and it's 40degC in the sun, NOT in the shade.

surumi: wow! hello! amazing thing, eh, friendster?

s: sadly, there was another cold front. dashed hopes.

barney: more fun playing with people around, too!

October 09, 2005 12:29 am  
Blogger PMS said...

Hey I love Mappy and Mario! When Mappy's music gets faster signalling lack of time I get super gan cheong.. Memories!

November 07, 2005 7:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home